You are here

Applying for a place: Transferring from another secondary school

In-Year Admissions

Transfers between secondary schools are, in the main, coordinated by the Local Authority of the area within which you are transferring or that you are moving in to.

If you are thinking of transferring school and would like to come and meet one of our Leaders, please contact the Principal’s PA by email to or by telephoning the main college number.

The transfer application process is coordinated by the School Admissions team at Torbay Council.  More information and the application form is available on their web page:

or you can request a paper copy by emailing your name and address to or  Please note that completing the process by paper is much slower than the online process.

After an offer of a place at The Spires College has been made, students are invited to an assessment session to help establish the teaching group in which they will be placed.  Following this, there will be an admission meeting with the Head of Year and Pastoral Support Manager to discuss and plan the admission in order for the transfer to happen as smoothly as possible. 

The criteria for gaining a selective place when transferring from another secondary school can be found in our admissions policy.


Waiting Lists and Appeals

This information is relevant for both primary to secondary and in-year transfers.

If we are oversubscribed in a year group and we cannot offer a place upon receipt of an application, we keep a waiting list of children who would like to attend the college.  Any vacancies that arise due to students leaving the college, or deciding not to take a place offered, are filled from the top of the waiting list.  The order of priority for our waiting lists can be found in our Admissions Policy.  The Admission Policy has 11 pages so please consider this before printing.

If we cannot offer a place, there is an appeals process for parents/carers of children on the waiting list to follow should they wish to do so.  Appeals for school places are arranged by Governance Support at Torbay Council and are heard by an independent panel.  Details of the appeals process can be found on the Torbay Council website


If you have any queries, please send an email to our Admissions Officers: or telephone the main college number 01803 400660.  

You can contact School Admissions at Torbay Local Authority by email to: or by telephone on 01803 208908.